Makes about: 10 servings
3 TBSP unsalted butter
3 TBSP of olive oil
about 4 large onions, chopped
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3-4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tsp salt divided
2/3 cup milk
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat 3 TBSP butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat until butter is melted. Add onions; stir to coat with butter mixture. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until onions have wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover; increase heat to medium high. Sprinkle with sugar; stir to combine. Cook 25- 30 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown, stirring frequently. If necessary, reduce heat to medium to keep onions from sticking. Stir in 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Add 2 tsp of the salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to low; simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain. Return to saucepan; cover to keep warm
- Meanwhile, microwave milk and 2 TBSP butter in a small microwave-safe cup 30-60 seconds or until butter is melted and milk is hot.
- Reheat caramelized onions over medium heat until hot. Mash potatoes. Stir in milk mixture until potatoes are creamy. Stir in caramelized onions, remaining 1 tsp sale and 1/4 tsp pepper.