Saturday, July 19, 2008

Apple-Spinach Salad

Our family loves this salad. I discovered the recipe and made it one night for dinner, and every time I've made it since it's been a hit! My younger brothers seem to like it better with Creamy Poppy seed dressing instead of the vinaigrette dressing. Now whenever one of my brothers walks through the kitchen while I'm preparing this salad they say with excitement, "Oh boy, are we going to have that for dinner?!" :) It's fun to make things for brothers who value food so much!

Ingredients:
-1 cup vegetable oil
-1/3 cup cider vinegar
-1/3 cup sugar
-1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
-1-2 lbs. fresh spinach, torn if desired
-1 head romaine lettuce, torn
-3 medium sized golden delicious apples, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
-1 (15-oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
-1/2 cup pecans, chopped if desired
-1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)

Prepare:
For dressing, in small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar and pepper. (Or place in blender to combine.) In large bowl combine spinach, romaine, apples, oranges and pecans. Top with goat cheese, if desired. Don't forget to enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cuisine For Crowds said...

Karisse,
Have you ever tried this with feta cheese?

Anonymous said...

Oooo,, That looks good Karisse!

Yummy!

Steph

Karisse Wesco said...

No, I've not tried feta cheese. I didn't even use the goat cheese because I wanted to cut down on the expense of the salad. I have used feta cheese on salads though, and I imagine you could probably use it on this salad as well.